Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pure Barre and the Pizza Effect

Yesterday was a good day. I made it to all four classes with a certain amount of energy I had been lacking in weeks previous. I even bought a way-cool bag for my Diabetes supplies (pictures to come later). In terms of blood sugars, it was beginning to look like I had a handle on things. I was getting 140s two hours after meals, ensuring me that I was doing well counting carbs and dosing insulin. I know that the evening would be an experiment to an extent. It was my first time going to back to Pure Barre since the diagnosis. It's not a huge deal, but the last time I did any exercise, my sugar droooopppped. So, I was around 160 before I went in (thanks to some juice), and I was around 140 afterward before dinner. So, Pure Barre wasn't having a profound effect on my dropping. The dinner of choice - pizza. I thought with the exercise and counting I did, that 2 units of insulin would be sufficient. I looked in my CalorieKing book to determine the carbs in a small slice of cheese pizza and proceeded to order two said slices. From there, I proceeded to eat two said slices. Morgan and I waited thirty minutes to make sure I wasn't low for my drive home. 213, you know, the opposite of low. Walks around the block had been helping me, so Andrew, Rosalyn, and I went on a walk when I got home. Tested. 269. Climbing, really? Still? Well, apparently, there is this thing called the "pizza effect." The idea is that pizza is high in fat, and fat can cause your blood sugar to spike over a longer period of time. It is the opposite issue as, say, chewing candy when your low to make your sugar spike immediately. So, the pizza effect, combined with the fact that pure barre does not lower my sugar as much as running, combined with the fact that exercised caused me to dose too low on my insulin, resulted in an evening of highs. Gotta love that long-acting insulin, though. This morning, pre-breakfast, 109. Boom shakalaka!

Oh you know, you live, you learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment