Friday, May 4, 2012

The Devil Wears Prada.

Diabetes and I are learning to live with each other. Let's discuss the milestones so far. I have made it through airport security with the Vera Bradley Diabetes Kit in tow. I mean, she doesn't make Diabetes kits per se, but she makes this bag that is perfect for all my junk. I think the bag needs a name, something more personal than Portable Pancreas. I'm open to suggestions. Anyway, no one in security seemed to care, which made traveling much easier than I anticipated. I had my first glass of wine, which seems to have minimal effects on my blood sugar. The key is probably that I only had one. I ate dessert. Real dessert. I am talking chocolate lava cake and wedding cake. To top it all off, I gave myself enough insulin to cover it. I never had any terrible highs on my entire trip. Another milestone was the fact that I ran 5 miles with Colleen. I was around 209 when I started, and I was 98 when I finished. I don't know what I would do if I wasn't active in my undiagnosed life. Anyway, life feels normal, more or less. I study and take exams. I exercise. I get plenty of sleep. I have read lots of Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. I think the hardest adjustment is still with the food. I mean, technically, I can eat whatever I want if I account for the carbs with insulin. The problem is when to eat. I was instructed to bolus before meals only. That means, I am only accounting for the carbs that I am about to eat when I dose my insulin. Thing is, I get hungry between meals. If I happen to under-dose myself, and read like 180 between meals, then I don't feel comfortable eating a carby snack. So, my current lingering question is "Doc, can I bolus for snacks? Dessert? An impromptu run to Starbucks?"Carbs. Having to be conscious of them is exhausting. I mean, it is only one of three huge macronutrients in our diet. It isn't that I have to avoid them, but I have to count them. The cynical side of me almost resents the folks who go low-carb on a fad diet. I sometimes want to shout, "EAT CARBS! YOUR PANCREAS WILL COVER YOU!" I don't say such things. Frankly, it would just be food-envy talking. But, really, I am handling it all well. I am not on a road to a destination. I am married to Diabetes in a world with no divorce. For better for worse.

Take a look at some meals and other Diabetic insights as of late:

  
Salmon + Veggies + Mashed Potatoes at Tugs. 
One of my favorites, for which I usually give myself 4-units.
   
                                       
One of the first meals my mom made for me when I got out of the hospital.
Rotisserie Chicken + Baked Potato + Veggies.
See a theme?
                                                            
Colleen and my 5-miler in Florida. I have no idea why my App thought we were in Memphis.
It is nice to know I can still do distance running!

         
Here is Portable Pancreas. She goes with me everywhere. I think a Portable Pancreas would look much better in Prada. You know, they say that's what the Devil wears...

No comments:

Post a Comment