Friday, January 18, 2013

diabetes + irony + oops?


I have been on Diabetes overload lately...but in a good way. Stephanie and I went to the JDRF Symposium in Nashville last weekend, and it was so much fun. I learned a lot, and I was around people with whom I could relate. We even got to meet Kerri Sparling, one of the bloggers that Stephanie introduced me to while I was in the hospital.

Last night, Stephanie and I went to the JDRF Type 1 dinner at Salsa. Don't ask me about what Mexican food does to my blood sugar...it really isn't fair. The speaker was a local endocrinologist, and he was a wealth of fabulous information and enthusiasm. I think it is amazing when someone who studies a disease day-in-and-day-out for decades is able to approach it with fresh enthusiasm no matter what. We diabetics don't get a vacation from it, so I guess it is only fair :)

I am enjoying staying plugged in and meeting new people. It would be easy to hide under a rock, but approaching my diabetes head-on is more my flavor.

Speaking of flavors, I just dropped one of my Torani Sugar-Free Mocha syrups. It fell behind the refrigerator. Then, I hear ::guzzleguzzleguzzle::. Yes, it is spilling out. The puddle creeps out from under the fridge, and my dog noses closer to it. Right now, all that is stopping an epic chocolate flood is an old brown towel and the hope that my dog doesn't realize that she can simply move the towel and partake any time until my husband gets home with more muscles than I have to offer the situation.

Oops.



I was looking for my coffee this morning, and I found one of my freezer meals. I used to eat these Smart One's meals all the time pre-diagnosis. In fact, I don't know that I have touched a noodle since April 2012. Trust me, not all diabetics are like this. They simply figure out the carb-count in their noodles and bolus for it. I wasn't that brave on shots, and I am certainly not that brave on Metformin.

7 comments:

  1. Ha Ha....I loved your comment saying "I haven't touched a noodle since diagnosis". I am with you, sister! I haven't eaten a noodle, potato or rice for over a decade! Not worth the diabetes trouble!! Maybe we are weird, but then again, maybe we don't spike! (strange...while I'm typing this, Dexcom is yelling 'low' from the kitchen counter.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both have more willpower than me. Though I do avoid white potatoes most of the time. :) And pizza. I don't think I cold give up pasta and rice though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara, I think I miss pizza the most... there has to be a way to make it work

      Delete
  3. Thank you for posting the great content…I was looking for something like this…I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs…keep sharing.. what is diabetes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got to meet Kerri! Isn't she the best?

    I cringed at the sound of the drink gurgling out behind the fridge. I mean, if something is going to spill, can't it at least spill where you can clean it easier?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really very informative and the way you presented your information attracts visitors to read more informative blogs from your website. So I kindly look forward to see next updates.
    what is diabetes

    ReplyDelete