Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Mind, Body, Soul, and just being Miley?

I would like to introduce two new features into the blog today. Typically, an entry wouldn't include both features in one post, but I am overly excited. The first feature is called "mind, body, and soul." The idea is that a disease like Diabetes takes its toll - not only on your physical body - but on your mind and soul as well. Once a week, I want to break down what I have been doing to mitigate the negative effects Diabetes can have on each.

Mind:

Diabetes can be a huge distraction and seem all-consuming at times. I find that only occurs when I am giving Diabetes a license to dwell in my headspace. During Bar Exam prep, my headspace is prime real estate, so while I will allow it to be a life tenant, it will NOT adversely possess my entire mind. WHOA. I have to stop thinking about the law in my downtime. That being said, investing hours every day focusing on the law and successful test-taking skills sharpens my intellect and provides me a welcome distraction from worrying about what is going on inside my body.

Body:

I spend a great deal of time on this blog talking about diet, fitness, and weight. Prior to diagnosis, these were valuable interests of mine, but they have taken on a new meaning now. Maintaining a healthy diet, exercise regimen, and healthy weight are crucial to effective Diabetes management. In my fitness life, a friend of mine, Karina Van Sickle, with whom I graduated from Rhodes, has introduced me to a vast majority of my fitness routines I have enjoyed over the past three years and continue to enjoy today. Her enthusiasm for health and fitness is contagious. For example, through Karina, I have done ChaLean Extreme, TurboFire, Pure Barre, and now Tone it Up (which starts Monday - another entry for another day). It is also so nice to have a friend with access to all of this valuable information on living a healthier lifestyle. Mega Shout-Out to Karina, or "The Guru," in my mind.

                             
Here are Karina and I at the Move-It Memphis 10K

Soul:

There are also a spiritual or philosophical consequences of having Diabetes. Try as you might to avoid it, you are often plagued with questions of why or how. These types of issues tend to be weighty if left unaddressed. Things that spoil your attitude or spirit can lead to problems with the mind and body as well. So, it is important to do the things that keep your chin up - exercise, meditate, go to church, take a bath, write in a journal, see a therapist, whatever the case may be for you.

The truth is, these all need to be tended to independently; however, neglecting one can have a profound impact on the others. Next week, I will depart from the general and tell you what I am doing that specific week to keep myself on track in all three areas. This was just an introduction for what is to come. I hope it is productive and enjoyable for all of us.

Okay, I said I was introducing two new features. The second feature could arguably fit under the "body" category. I like to borrow inspiration from celebrities who seem to maintain a healthy physique by doing things the right way. This week, I want to highlight my current inspiration, Miley Cyrus. Trust me, I never thought I would have occasion to say that.  I am not a huge fan of her music, but I am very impressed with her body's metamorphosis. Were I to find out that her body changed due to some unhealthy decisions or habits, I will gladly come back and renounce my praise. I did a little research on Miley's diet and fitness. She attributes the weight loss to a gluten-free and lactose-free diet. I have no idea if she actually has sensitivities to these things or if it is strictly a vanity choice, but I don't really think it matters. The information I found on her fitness is mostly about her use of Pilates as a workout of choice. Whatever the truth, she looks good. So, am I going to go gluten-free or lactose-free? Not unless I have to, but it is always nice to take in information about what does and does not work for people.




Now for more traditional blog features - 
Food as of Late:

You may recognize this as that breakfast sandwich I always post, but this one is 5 Carbs. The rest of the carbs from that meal came from the grapefruit. So, this is what I choose to do when I don't want to eat a whole lot of carbs first thing in the morning. 


This is what happens when your coffee mugs are dirty. A little Christmas spirit in June never hurt anyone.


This was yesterday's lunch: Tuna Bowl + Sugar-Free Jell-O with Cool Whip. 


My mom made me dinner last night. What do you see? Two chicken enchiladas (Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce + 2% Sharp Cheddar Cheese + 2 Corn Tortillas + Rotisserie Chicken + Black Beans + Light Sour Cream). Doesn't that sound good, normal, and filling? It only cost me 32 Carbs and $0. 

Oh, and I got the leftovers, so guess what I had for lunch today? Yep. Same thing minus black beans and sour cream and plus guacamole. 


I finally perfected the consistency of those Banana Protein Pancakes from the other day. Remember, they fell apart? These did not. And they are delicious! Are you wondering about that cloudy drink in the background? It is part of this Tone It Up plan. Although I am not really starting until next week, I thought I'd give this metabolism booster a try. It's not too bad if you're into having cayenne pepper in your beverages. I'm keeping an open mind. 



No comments:

Post a Comment