Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sexy Dexy and Peppermint Mochas

Greeeetings to all the functioning and ill-functioning pancreases out there! Pancreases. I would rather it be Pancreai, but I was not consulted on the matter. As you may be able to tell, I am in a terrific mood on this Tuesday. I am in a great mood despite the fact that I am pancreas-deep in Barbri Torts information. But hey, I like Torts. Maybe it is because I liked my Torts professor (shout out to Tortman if you're reading!)

Why so chipper? Three reasons:

(1) Diabetic Peppermint Mocha. What? All my dreams...realized. Want to try it yourself? Coffee of Choice (mine is Dunkin' Donuts) + Sweetener (Stevia) + 1 TSP of Cocoa Powder + 6 Drops of Peppermint Stevia. Yes, yum...even if this is a wintery treat. It is part of my new obsessed-with-colder-weather thing.



(2) Tight Control. For some reason, all my blood sugar readings over the past two days have been spot-on, hovering between 85-120. I'm loving it - especially because I know, with Diabetes, such successes can be so temporary :)




(3) Sexy Dexy. Are you dying to know what this means? Okay, fine. You know I typically check my blood sugar via a finger-prick 6-10 times per day? I don't have to do that any longer. Well, I don't have to do it as often. I check that often to pick up on trends regarding how my body reacts to certain foods or other stimuli like exercise or stress. Today, I received my Dexcom Seven Plus Continuous Glucose Monitor. This contraption has a sensor and transmitter that attach to my body. A tiny needle checks my blood sugar every five minutes and charts it on a graph, which shows up on my receiver. The Dexcom shows me trends almost in real time. So, I know if my blood sugar is trending high, low, or is stable. This is beneficial information when you are exercising, sleeping, or guessing on carbohydrates. The Dexcom also includes the ability to alert you through vibrations and beeps when you are too high or too low. At the moment, my device is charging. I am told that takes 3 hours. I have watched a zillion tutorials and watched my buddy, Stephanie (shout out!), show me how it works. I still think I will  be a little rusty this first time. I keep checking the charge to see if it is finished. It's like the watched pot that never boils. A watched Dexcom never charges. You didn't know? Free fun fact. While I wait in anticipation [and while procrastinating with Barbri], I look up YouTube videos of Ryan Gosling. I'm obsessed. Don't worry, Andrew knows. Did you know that he sings? I think that means he has to play Christian Grey. I digress... I don't know why I am so excited about this thing charging. That means the next step is to inject myself with a needle. You'd think I'd be all take your time, Dexy. Nope. What's another needle? Let's do this...

C'mon, CHARGE!



 Stephanie attached this to an e-mail that she first wrote me after I was diagnosed. Now he only thinks of me about 120 ml/dL per day, but I'll take it. 



This was lunch today. It consisted of Holiday Ham's Egg and Olive Salad.
[My mom would be proud. My dad would be vomiting.]
That shell that looks oh-so-carby is made by the Food for Life brand. 
Yes, Ezekiel tortillas. 
11 Net Carbs.

1 comment:

  1. It is good to know that you are monitoring your diabetes sugar level.
    free glucose monitors can monitor blood sugar level easily.

    ReplyDelete