Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Greenline, Football, and Lessons Learned

The month has already gotten off to a terrific start fitness-wise. I had a pretty active Labor Day. I ran 4-miles for the first time in a long time. Then, Andrew and I biked 6-miles in each direction on the Greenline. It was my first time, so I developed some opinions on the matter. First, why hadn't I done this sooner? It was quite fun! Second, why didn't I bring more water? Third, why did I think I could last 12-miles biking after running 4? I wish you guys could have seen me around the end. I was snapping at Andrew, "I just want to be home. In the bath. With some water." In retrospect, I loved it. I just need to know when enough is enough. How does one keep her blood sugar stable on such an active day? It involves glucose tabs, G2, and chocolate milk. Not together, obviously.

I did not take this picture. I found it on Pinterest. But I did pass it and think, "this is why I love Memphis."


I have a section of this blog entitled "Lessons Learned". Being a novice Diabetic, there are bound to be plenty. As you may have noticed, with Diabetes comes technology. With technology, comes expense. With losing your technology, comes expense. Andrew and I both had experiences in August when we accidentally disposed of an important piece of technology - nothing vital to my livelihood - but wasteful nonetheless. I am very pleased to say that, after a month of separation, Sexy Dexy and I are reunited [...and it feels so goooood]. I vow to keep a more watchful eye on my gear. I even ordered some more colorful skins for her to make her a more cheery piece of equipment. There is something more zen about reading about a high blood sugar from a pink machine than a gray one. 



What is joyful about September is the arrival of football season. For as long as I can remember, my brother made me watch Florida State football. Neither of us attended the school (though Morgan and I toured it - remember?!), but I have still made a point to root for them in college football. Listen, when your alma mater's team is Rhodes College, you are entitled to branch out. I have never been an avid follower of the NFL. I will watch a game, but I don't root for anyone. So, I have found a team. Based on what, you ask? A Type 1 Diabetic quarterback. Is that a legitimate reason? Who cares. Check out this cool interview with Jay Cutler and Larry King. 


No comments:

Post a Comment