Friday, December 28, 2012

December 2012 Endo Appointment

So, I go to the endocrinologist every three months. Depending on which tests I had done the last time, I may or may not give blood. This time is a blood-giving time. Admittedly, I am a baby when it comes to giving blood. I look away, fidget my feet, and breathe deeply to avoid passing out on the floor. Hopefully, since it won't be my first rodeo, I will be able to handle it like a grownup. I don't know what to expect from my hba1c this time. It was 6.2% last time, I believe. That was all reflective of insulin therapy via multiple daily injections (mdi). This hba1c will reflect my experience on oral medications. In truth, most days are pretty good - never even hitting 180 mg/dL. There have been a few days or span of days when I couldn't seem to get it together, but I always had something I could blame - Italian food, Mexican food, that baked potato from which I just couldn't stay away... You see, for me, I was constantly testing the boundaries to see what my body can and cannot handle on oral meds. I learned the hard way that even flatbread pizzas with white sauce are a recipe for hyperglycemia. I can count on my fingers how many times I chose to do a correction bolus. I am happy with my situation the way it is now. Hopefully, my endocrinologist will be also. I go in at 11:00, so I will follow-up in the paragraphs below...this is just my pre-appointment ranting :)

Ready for the results...?

hba1c = 5.9% 

He still thinks I can get even lower, but I am pleased with anything starting with a "5"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment