Saturday, December 1, 2012

New Month: December

HAPPY DECEMBER! 

Nothing brings me back to the Diabetes blog quite like a new month! Do we need a refresher as to why new months are awesome? For a goal-setter, it is an optimal time to set new short-term goals. Next month will also mark the New Year (and we can all laugh at the Mayans), and then we can do both short-term and long-term planning! My December started off on an inspiring note. Andrew and I handed out water at the St. Judge Marathon this morning. There is nothing quite like the determination of thousands running for a cause! I attempted my first half-marathon this past March. Though my training went swimmingly, the race day did not. I only ran 9/13 miles, and walk/ran the final 4. To me, that is not sufficient to say "I've run a half marathon." So, that's not something I say. But that's something I'd like to be able to say. Now that I have a Continuous Glucose Monitor, I feel confident that I can give that race a fair rematch. So, for Goal #1, I'd like to start training for the Germantown Half Marathon at the end of the month. There, it's out there. The next step to commitment is signing up :)



At the end of the month, I go to my next endo appointment. It will be my first endo appointment assessing an entire three months on oral medications. My goal is to have my A1c under 6%. Well, really, I'd just like it to be lower than last time (6.3%). So, Goal #2 is to keep a tight watch on my blood sugar throughout the month. That may mean fewer cookies. I am so pleased with the oral meds, and I wish this therapy could last forever, but I am always preparing myself for a time when they may not work so well.



I also have a lot of exciting ideas going on in the career world. I won't disclose too many details, but I have really enjoyed cultivating my creative passions. First thing's first - Goal #3 is to begin studying for the February Bar Exam. I've already begun the flashcard making, which will hopefully be a helpful change from the study methods last time!


Don't forget to check into Exclusively Chic this month for a 25-day gift guide to holiday shopping! :)


Welcome to December, friends! I hope you've set some awesome goals to end 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment