Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Monday Morning Quarterbacking

After today, this blog reverts back to being a Diabetes blog. But first, I need to do a little Monday Morning Quarterbacking. What's that? Well, you know, the woulda shoulda couldas that come up after the fact. I will lend some positivity to you today...and a little dose of perspective. Let me just remind you that no candidate offered to cure my Diabetes with a magic wand. That was disappointing. I digress. What did the bar exam and this election have in common? I had weeks to brace myself for the result! :)

I don't know about you, but campaigns are such a draining time for me. If you really pay attention to speeches, data, debates, talk shows, articles, conventions, social media, etc., then you are likely exhausted by today. I typically take a few weeks away from politics after being glued to it for months. But today, I am facing it. You can garner a lot of information from election data regarding the pulse of the nation. The election is over. Democracy did its beautiful thing. If you step back and consider other societies, that should make you feel really good, even if your guy didn't prevail.

Here are some things to consider:


  • Newness. The election is over, and the balance of power is the same as it was yesterday. That may not feel so new. Remember that presidents often govern differently in their second term - they build their legacies. Once the election is over, it is unproductive to stop supporting your country's progress. We are all invested in lifting America from the depths of its crises, so ask yourself, "what can I do to further that aim?" That can get you actively involved rather than force you to predict the worst for America. If you really believe that government is going to swell to epic proportions, keep a watchful eye on it. Being the "watchdog" party serves an important function in a democracy - one of accountability. Congress experiences mid-term elections (recall 2010), and it is important to stay vigilant and informed to vote in those races as well. 
  • Republican Party. Political parties have evolved throughout history. When I didn't pass the bar exam, I couldn't just bury it. I had to get introspective to figure out what went wrong and what needs to change going forward. I submit that if Republicans dismiss this crucial step of introspection, then this country will evolve without us. If minorities look at the GOP and cannot consider it a viable option, that is our problem and not theirs. The GOP has a lot of great candidates with great leadership potential, and I think they are taking a hard look at themselves today. I am not abandoning my ideologies, but I know I can be the change I want to see in the party. Republicans lost with women, young people, Hispanics, and African-Americans. Newsflash - that's America! If a party can't get support from those groups, then it's time to evolve. And, I promise, many conservative ideas transcend race and gender, if only it could be communicated articulately. 
  • Vitriol. The quickest way to lose political credibility to is to espouse racism and intolerance. There are really great ideas worth consideration, but hateful rhetoric only eclipses them. If you think such bigotry propels a political agenda, I urge you to find a new party. As I have mentioned many times, people's political affiliations boil down to philosophies on government. This is an age-old debate, and the passions run deep. We should keep to the meritorious discussions rather than vitriolic accusations. 
  • I win, you lose. Nobody loves a good campaign battle like I do. I have blinders on when it comes to the two-party system. I like it. I'm used to it. It has a sports-feel to it. This guy or that guy. My team or yours. I like the stark contrast of ideas (most of them). I am guilty of cheerleading for my team during the campaign. That's the fun part! When an election is over, I love when people win or lose gracefully. Mitt Romney handled his defeat with the utmost class. President Obama handled his victory with similar class. Let's take a nod from the candidates and stop with the gloating and whining. President Obama said last night, "We are not as divided as our politics suggest. We are not as cynical as the pundits suggest." That would be awesome if it were true. Look around social media and tell me with a straight face that we are not cynical or divided. I think what Mr. President meant to suggest was that we don't have to be divided or cynical. My advice is simply to revert the anger into productivity. Mad at the other party? Come up with winning ideas. Mad at your own party? Encourage growth from within. America is a country run by its people - why on Earth would you bow out now?
If you cannot find joy in politics today...if you don't find solace in my advice...then I'd be glad to direct you to non-political alternatives. Thanksgiving is coming! I love hanging out with my family during the holidays. Christmas is next! Burn a good candle. Put up your decorations early - there is no law against it! Focus on the Memphis Grizzlies- they're back and would love your overflow of competitive spirit from this election. If you need somewhere to channel it, take it to the GRINDHOUSE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment