Sunday, November 25, 2012

diabetes & thanksgiving

I will admit that I was a bit apprehensive about celebrating Thanksgiving after Diabetes. For me, my favorite Thanksgiving foods include sweet potato casserole and cornbread dressing. Translated into Diabetes terms, that is "carb casserole" and "carb dressing". Was it going to be the same? Would I feel deprived? Resentful? Meet the indulgences - 

cornbread dressing + sweet potato casserole
lots of bread and lots of sugar

I knew that I wasn't going to get away without having a bite, but I devised a plan to feel like I was indulging without sending my pancreas into overdrive. I had my mom make cauliflower mashed potatoes and a sugar-free pumpkin cheesecake. I would load up on meat, green beans, and cauliflower mashed potatoes. That way, I would be too full to notice the indulgences I had minimized. Witness, behold...operation cauliflower -


Was so amazing! Thanks mom! :)

Blood sugar before eating = 116 mg/dL
Blood sugar after eating = 114 mg/dL
= success!
Of course, after analyzing how much I was stressing out about how to navigate the feast. I felt a little silly. The food worked out. It worked out because I made good decisions and had family willing to accommodate and encourage me. I learned in church today that we can learn from our bruises...no, not literal bruises, but struggles. I learned "that our bruises make us better, not bitter." It sounds counterintuitive, right? To be thankful for a struggle? Well, nestled within every struggle is nugget of perspective. Don't get me wrong, Diabetes sucks. I wouldn't have wished it on myself or anyone else. But, this Thanksgiving weekend, I was around my amazing support group - family and friends. I was reminded that Diabetes, when put in perspective, is about diligence and discipline. I am so thankful that my grandfather beat cancer this year and survived chemo and a plethora of other health distractions. He was able to cook dinner, visit with all of us, and beat us in Scrabble. That is what it is all about. Not me. Not my Diabetes. Not my cauliflower mashed potatoes. Not mg/dL. It's not about what is on the table, but who sits around it. 

For the egg bowl party at the Montagues, Andrew made fruit salad + dip.
I roasted Splenda/Cinnamon Pecans. 

The most fabulous of friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment