Monday, August 20, 2012

Monday Update - Lake, Anxiety, and Blogging.

Happy Monday, everyone! I don't know what you all did to unwind this weekend, but I had a great time with friends at the lake. My grandparents have had a lake house at Pickwick Lake for years. Recently, the house was struck by lightening and was torn down completely. For the past year, the house has been in construction and is finally useable! I enjoy experiencing weekends out of town and Diabetes not getting in the way. I left my Sexy Dexy at home, so I wouldn't risk losing it. All day Saturday I didn't have to take any Novolog. I wasn't aiming for it, but my eating patterns fell into a rhythm where I was maintaining normal sugar levels without it. In fact, I woke up at 59 Saturday morning. That's low for me. That's probably low for anyone. My basal dose has had to be steadily decreased because I have a trend of waking up below 70. I have gone from 15 units to around 10 units. Because I woke up at 59, I didn't give myself insulin at breakfast. I needed those carbs. By the time I was ready for lunch, I was in the 90s and my carbs came from a sandwich. I knew that wouldn't bring me up too high without insulin. For dinner, I had a chicken/feta/spinach burger (no bun) and a little bit of chips and dip. It was an interesting situation. I am back to giving myself insulin because my days are starting off much higher than 59. I don't know why this happens. Maybe I am still in the "honeymoon phase" where my body is still producing insulin on its own, so I don't require as much from shots. Diabetes or not, it was a great trip :)


In other news, I have had a second bout with panic attacks. I wrote about the last time I had one, which was about two months ago. These are not frequent, but they have happened twice. They have happened for similar reasons. If I start to focus on a strange breathing pattern, heartbeat, or worry about being low (even when I am not), my body tends to overreact. The physical feeling is one of heart racing, strange breathing, and lightheadedness. In truth, I feel as though I may faint. Because fainting is another huge fear of mine, the panic seems to perpetuate. I brought this up at my physical on Friday to my doctor. He gave me a prescription to deal with it if it ever comes on again. I think having access to the medicine will make me feel better. I took a Mental Health Law class during my second year of law school, and I remember my professor telling us that many of us in the room will experience some form of mental health issue. Touche, sir. I don't believe that mental health issues should come with a stigma. They are real and common. I am not ashamed to share my experiences with anyone. It is what it is, and there are things you can do to help yourself. I am going to try some alternative approaches to keep my stresses at bay. In fact, there are a lot of free podcasts on meditation that simply bring your mind to a more peaceful place. Also, I keep promising myself I'll try a yoga class. Now is as good a time as any.


Finally, I recently read a blog entry by pbfingers that gave a lot of great tips for bloggers. One tip I had been wondering about for a while. How are these fitness bloggers creating their own workout lists? The answer was right in my dashboard - Microsoft Excel.

It will take practice, but I think I can do it! It will make fitness blogging a lot more fun for me!

Also, my cousin introduced me to a great band, The Lumineers. Check them out. Also, the Mumford & Sons album drops in almost one month! Pre-order it on iTunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment