Wednesday, August 22, 2012

What's up, Doc?

So, I mentioned that I got a physical on Friday, right? Well, everything checked out alright at the appointment, but I was waiting on some blood work. I got it in the mail today, and all signs point to a healthy me! I was expecting to get an a1c test done at my last endocrine clinic visit, but I did not. I did get it at this physical. On the sheet, a non-Diabetic's normal is < 5.6%. When I was diagnosed, I was at over 12%. Now, I am at 6.2%! I am so happy. You know how you used to love getting Progress Reports in school simply to know where you stand? That's how I feel. I feel like my teacher just handed me an A. Because I am diabetic, < 5.6% is not quite feasible, so for my illness, I am doing well. This test is your 3-month average of blood sugar levels. Keeping it at a certain level helps ward off the long-term complications of the disease, such as damage to the blood vessels (eyes, kidneys, etc.) I will continue to do what I can to keep it as "normal" as possible. All of the other blood work came back great as well (triglycerides, thyroid, cholesterol, etc.) Nothing appeases encroaching anxiety more than a positive progress report on my health!

Andrew cooked our new staple, spaghetti squash. He also added vegetables, including kale. He is now a self-proclaimed "health junkie", which makes things very easy for me :)

You may also notice that I am playing with the design of both of my blogs. I may change it yet again, but work with me while I experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment