Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My Favorite Time of Year

I have always loved the mystique of the Fall season. Let me list the ways! No, really. Let me.


pumpkins. pumpkin spice lattes. jeans. warm colors.
sweaters. boots. layers. football. basketball. tailgates.
low humidity. school year starts. leaves change.
bonfires. running weather. halloween. thanksgiving. 
sam adams. nutmeg. cinnamon. gourds. farmer's market.
new tv seasons. the nosedive to christmas. rustic decor.

Like I said, Fall has always had a certain magic in my life. As my last post referenced, I used to love the back-to-school jitters. I would plan my outfits for the whole first week and organize my school supplies way too far in advance. I always got a fresh haircut and new make-up. Now that the school chapter of my life is over, I still think Fall is amazing. The whole landscape starts to look more like a painted canvas. I hope that all of you find as much joy in this particular season as I do. Not to mention, it has the absolute best fashion of all the seasons.

In honor of Fall coming, I decided to cook something new. My friend, Colleen Hogue, shout out! is one of the healthiest eaters I know. She told me about spaghetti squash and how it can be used instead of pasta. Imagine my glee seeing as I had not had pasta since my diagnosis. I didn't even care to attempt the carb journey. On Saturday, while at the farmer's market with my mom, she bought me two spaghetti squash (squashes?). Today, I endeavored to cook it. 


Spaghetti Squash. 


How I prepared:
The squash: Slice the ends off and cut into long halves. Remove seeds. Bake on 400 degrees for 50 minutes. Let cool. Pull out the inside with a fork (it will string).
The sauce: I combined butter, white cooking wine, olive oil, garlic salt, and basil in a pan. 
I cooked zucchini and squash in the sauce. 
I removed the veggies.
I added more of the sauce ingredients to the pan and tossed in the "spaghetti". 
But, Jordan, what did you measure? 
Nothing. I don't know how to cook. 
I do know how to play. 
Spaghetti Squash  = 10 carbs. per cup. 
And my heart smiles. 


I cooked the seeds in butter and cinnamon. Not too shabs. 


The whole meal = the spaghetti squash dish + one slice bagel thin (whole wheat) with 0-calorie spray butter, garlic salt and melted muenster cheese + fruit (grapes, strawberries, blackberries). 



1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome! How did it end up tasting? I'll have to try that recipe soon (and kudos on doing something with the seeds).

    ReplyDelete