Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Back in Sync

There was great temptation to use "*N Sync" in the title, but I resisted with all my might. But to what am I referring? My routine. A couple of kinks my routine - anxiety and travel - had me a bit thrown for a minute. Now, I am home, which helps. I am also getting a better understanding of how anxiety works. Diabetics are more likely than the general population to experience conditions such as anxiety or depression. The funny thing is,  I would never have told anyone I was anxious or stressed prior to having anxiety symptoms. They just seemingly cropped up. Once the doctor told me everything checked out fine, then I figured all the little funny twinges must be related to anxiety and not something else like anemia, inner ear infection, or migraines. Yes, obviously I was skeptical that something like anxiety could make me feel ill. Once I endeavored to research it, the headaches sounded like mine. All the symptoms sounded like mine. I guess, it isn't so unfounded for someone coping with a new disease to have some latent fear and anxiety. Today, so far, I haven't experienced any headaches. I am making a point to try and keep those head and neck muscles loose. I must say, it feels good to feel good. 


Rosalyn is blending in with the floor, but I wanted to show off her new haircut.  It was very necessary in this Memphis heat. 


Y'all - I am way too excited about today's lunch. Does it look like mush? It kind of is. 
1/2 Avocado + 1/2 Cup of Black Beans + 1 Pouch Low-Sodium Chunk Light Tuna + 1 TBSP Light Mayonaise + 5 Toasted (Brand) Crackers + Cilantro + Cumin Powder + Tony's Seasoning + 1 Spritz of Lime Juice = One Delicious "Tuna Bowl". See Nutrition below. This is using my Diabetes Buddy App on my iPad, so that is why it highlights carbohydrates and distinguishes between Carbs and Net Carbs. If you don't know the difference, the Net Carbs = Total Carb - Fiber. 


Not too shabby, eh? Sure, the calories look high, but an under-500 calorie lunch is hard to come by these days, especially one that makes you this full. That fat comes from the avocado, which is good fat. And 18.5 Net Carbs? I'll take it any day of the week.


The sobering news - meet Barbri. Today was better than yesterday. Yesterday's guy went on-and-on to the point that I left during a break and finished the studying at home. Today's guy was hilarious while sticking to the material and getting us out of there at a decent time. So, what do we do in there? So far, listen and fill in blanks in a commercially prepared outline. The idea is that we go home, review the notes, and attempt some practice essays. The classes are from 9-1, and they expect you to study an additional 6 hours per day on top of that. Pardon me?  I may be able to do it today, after Pure Barre. I really enjoy learning Corporations, so I'll make it fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment