Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Where the Grind Left Off...


Did anyone else watch the disappointing Game 3 against the Clippers? I did. The whole thing. If you follow me on Twitter, then you know that because I was consistently tweeting my hatred for the man-child, Blake Griffin and the actual child, Chris Paul. Ugh, I hope we take it to Game 7.  So, for no apparent reason, I woke up at 6:45. I don't know about you, but I require a lot more sleep than that. Regardless, I decided to take advantage of the early rise and pick up the grind where the Grizzlies left off. Put another way, I was determined to have a productive day. Everyone knows that starts with breakfast. Because I am Diabetic, it is important that I not skip meals. That being said, I would encourage everyone to eat breakfast. Frankly, I don't know how one can have anything but a sluggish day without it. 

What did I have? Today, I decided to make an omelet with (2) eggs, (1/4) cup of cheese, and (a pinch) of Boar's Head Low-Sodium Turkey. Forgive, me I was so hungry, I forgot to take a picture. I also had (one small) Jazz apple with Smart Balance Peanut Butter. My sugar was at 98 when I ate breakfast. I estimated the omelet at nearly < 5 carbs. I estimated the small apple at 15 carbs. I estimated (4) table spoons of peanut butter at around 12 carbs. So, if I estimated correctly, I should be around 32 grams this morning. I will round up to 40 for the coffee, which is generous. I gave myself (4) units of insulin. Curious about how it turned out? We will talk about that below. First, I want to talk about coffee. I have had coffee two mornings in a row. Does that make me a coffee-drinker yet? 


I call this the Diabetic Roast. It contains (1) Dunkin Donuts Original Blend K-Cup (Nutrition Here = 1 Carb). It also contains (1 tbsp.) of Sugar Free French Vanilla Powdered Coffee Creamer ( See Below = 2 Carbs). I add (1 packet) of Splenda (Nutrition Here =  < 1 Carb). Finally, I top it off with (1 sprinkle) of cinnamon. 

Who says Diabetics cannot enjoy a cup of Joe? 
For those of you keeping track, that is < 5 carbs.


This stuff is good. I cannot wait to try other Sugar-Free flavors!


I finished it! That is a milestone for me. My next goal is to finish it in a reasonable time. It is always cold by the time I get to the bottom. Rookie mistake. 


Okay, so my post-breakfast blood sugar was a bit high. Remember, they want me at around 140 mg/dL two hours after meals. That means that I either miscounted my carbs, or I require more insulin per carb than I anticipated. I had been planning to run all morning, and I had plenty of mg/dL to work off. 


A gratuitous pre-run shot. Can I confess my tackiness here? What you see at the top of this mirror is an old McCain 2008 sticker. Well, we all know how that turned out. Problem is, stickers do not come off of mirrors very well without leaving a grimy residue. My solution? Why not stick an undersized Lululemon sticker on top of it? You know, since it masks the other one...Anyway, why the picture? Well, for one thing it allows me to inject a little fashion passion into the mix. But more importantly, it is photographic evidence of progress (or lack thereof if the case may be). Remember, I am taking on the task of combatting potential weight gain. Don't worry, I am doing it the healthy way (not over-eating and exercise). These shirts are amazing to run in. Check it out here. I also love these shoes


I don't know about you, but I cannot go on a solo run without music. This Playlist is called my Quick Two. Some days, especially days when I plan on doing Pure Barre or some other exercise, I like to keep my running distance short. In return, I try to work on my speed. You see, I am no speedster. That means, for me, my goal for any distance under 3 miles is to run a pace faster than 10 minutes/mile. To keep my pace up, I created a 6-song playlist of fast songs. The whole playlist is around 20 minutes, so if I listen to the whole thing, I know I've gone too slowly. 


Well, well, well...mission accomplished! It felt good to run this morning. My legs have been a bit achey, but I have managed just fine. I can definitely have a more productive run in the 70-degree whether than this 90s business. 


And for the post-run sugar check? Yep, 131 mg/dL. A short (albeit, swift, for my standards) run brought down my glucose almost 30 mg/dL. And with exercise, this lowering effect can last for hours, so I'll need to keep checking periodically to make sure I'm above 80.


Ah, lunch. Sometimes I choose to forego the traditional notions of lunch - meat sandwiched between two slices of bread. Today was one of those days. Who says you cannot get full on fruit and vegetables (with a side of string cheese)? Here we have half a grapefruit (estimated 15 carbs). We have one carton of edamame (11 carbs). I added one package of baby carrots (8 carbs), which I dipped in fat-free ranch dip (6 carbs per 2 tbsp). I topped it all off with my go-to carb-less snack, string cheese. I must say, this was a filling meal. I was 138 before lunch. I gave myself 4 units of insulin for this meal, which turned out to be more than enough.


I promised myself I would provide a picture from Pure Barre tonight on the blog. Morgan and Kelli were kind enough to let me. The class was a good kind of hard, and I was glad that my mom, Lee Ann, Morgs, and I could all do it together.

Well, folks, I'd say it has been a productive day.
Portable Pancreas and I are signing off.
Until tomorrow.
XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment