Sunday, May 6, 2012

Unwelcome Side Effects

So, the dietician was honest with me when I asked her whether or not I could expect to gain weight. She said many people do. Initially. Bah. I don't own a scale, but I can already tell... it is happening. A bathing suit bottom I got for my birthday, (March 5) and looked satisfactory on me at the time, is now quite small. Thanks, Diabetes. I still do Pure Barre on the regular and try to go on 3+ mile runs when it isn't too hot outside, but now I have to contend with these unwelcome side effects. Tell me, what girl gets excited about the prospect of gaining weight? Well, I am no exception. In fact, knowing that I don't stay trim by some genetic miracle, I have always made a point to make healthier choices and stay active. 5 to 10 pounds on this 5'1" frame really shows. So, why do I go about over-sharing with you all again? Well, the blog gives me a sort of accountability. Even if no one reads it, I will still feel like I have someone with whom to share my progress (or set backs). So, you'll start seeing posts about healthy recipes with its nutrition information. You'll start seeing more reporting of my exercise regimen. Maybe...just maybe... I will buy a scale to keep myself on task. I think 1800 calories is my maximum for an active lifestyle. I guess this means I have to start (gulp) counting. I don't know what is meant by "initial" weight-gain. Does that mean it is like an uninvited guest that overstays its welcome but ultimately leaves in two months? Who knows. Diabetic or no Diabetic, I am still a girl, and I don't appreciate these unwelcome side effects. That being said, I've got lots of exercise regimens up my sleeve, every nutrition app you can think of, and a reservoir of will power I can tap into in emergency situations. This is DefCon "D" (you know, for Diabetes). No mercy. Hey pounds, try me...


1 comment:

  1. Counting is not so bad! I've been doing it for a while because I'm a data freak and I write it all down in a tiny field notes journal that fits in any purse. I could tell you what I ate and what workout I did, for example, on March 16th of 2011 (or any other date over the last year). You might like it! In general, as people age, it just becomes helpful to have developed a habit of writing it down. Could end up being an awesome option :) Also, lots of healthy recipes here! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete