Monday, May 14, 2012

The Bad Moods

I don't exactly like being in bad moods. The only thing redeeming about my bad moods is the fact that I can usually point to the source. It's never a mystery. So, I mentioned how I felt like my body was gaining weight, and that I was warned that I might (because most Type 1s do). Well, my mom and I visited my grandparents yesterday, and I confirmed my suspicions. They own a scale. In fact, they keep it in the kitchen. Wise or unwise? I know not.  Knowing better, I stepped on it. Gasp. Without disclosing the actual weight, I have gained 7 lbs. in one month. I know, I know, it's just a number. I preach that line to others often. It is still an unwelcome side effect. I typically do between 30-90 minutes of exercise every single day and keep my calories under 1,800, so imagine my frustration when I gain weight despite my best efforts. Let's just say Sarah Palin isn't the only thing "goin' rogue". I know what you may be thinking: why do you feel comfortable sharing this with readers? not embarrassed? Well, I am more embarrassed that it bothers me so badly. But again, it is only part vanity, but it is the vanity part that is making me beat myself up over it. That being said, it is also important that I monitor my weight for medical reasons. It is much more difficult to manage weight once it has gotten out of control. So, for that reason (and that reason alone), I bought a scale. Because I have a strange compulsion to name things, we will call her Estelle. Why? I always liked Estelle in Friends. I am going to imagine her raspy voice as the scale speaking to me. [Disclaimer: I never said I was normal]. Anyway, in the grand scheme of gadgets, it is pretty cool. You put in your height, weight, gender, activity level, and goal weight and it keeps up with your progress. It tracks your weight, BMI, hydration levels, and body fat composition. Thankfully, I am still in normal BMI range. I am in the "fitness" range for body fat, which was a pleasant surprise.

So, what is my game plan? I don't have one. I am going to call it the common sense approach. Common sense tells me that the calories I consume should come from nutritious sources (fruit, not candy; carrots, not chips). Common sense tells me that daily exercise is good for both Diabetes and weight control in general. I have never been a big math person, so it befuddles me to figure out how to cut colories in such a way that you burn 3,500 of them, causing you to lose one pound. I don't know how people do it.

So, yes, weight gain bothers me. But, let it be known, I have always had a strict policy of health first. I hold myself to a zero tolerance policy when it comes to dangerous methods of dieting and exercising. I'm not crazy. I would much rather be a somewhat heavier Diabetic than a dead one. Being Diabetic...heck, being human, requires you to eat. Drastically cutting calories to <1,000 is a good idea for no one - especially me. That is not part of my game plan. No binging. No purging. No laxatives. No Adderall. No Cigarettes. No Pills. I am not interested. Plus, I know I can do this the right way - with a little patience, time, and encouragement, of course.

So, what to expect? Progress Reports. I'll check in with you all, for better or worse. Successes and failures. It makes me feel better to be up-front about this process rather than to pretend it isn't happening and hope people don't notice. How about this - if any of you readers, for one reason or another, are on a weight loss journey (large or small), let me know (publicly or privately), and we can share ideas and maintain accountability.

So, I have my tool kit.

Apps: GoMeals, Nutrition, iMapmyrun, CalorieKing, D Buddy
Gadgets: Estelle the Scale, iPod Nano watch, Portable Pancreas, Food Scale



This is dessert most days. It is Sugar Free Chocolate-Vanilla Swirl Pudding mixed with Sugar Free Cool Whip. Pretty-Darn-Good for 16 carbs.


This is a common breakfast. It is 1/2 cup of Froot Loops + 1/2 Cup FiberPlus Berry Yogurt Crunch. Why? Because I have to ease my way into healthy cereals. It is a lot like the process of changing pet foods - gradual. I use 1/2 cup of Skim Milk. I include a small Jazz apple and peanut butter. I seem to require more insulin for breakfast, so I usually take 7 units for this. 


This was a meal at my grandparent's house. (1) World-famous salmon patty. (1) Cup of Spinach. 
What was that in the distance? 


Oh, it is pie. Yes, PIE. My MaMaw is so fantastical that she made me a strawberry pie with Sugar Free Strawberry Jell-O, Sugar-Free Pudding, fresh strawberries, Lite Cool Whip, and a regular pie crust. One slice is around 20 carbs. It was delicious and hardly tastes sugar-free!


This was tonight's dinner, compliments of Chef Hubs. It is baked Swordfish in lemon and parsley, black eyed peas, cauliflower mashed potatoes, and an apple with peanut butter. I am obsessed with apples and peanut butter - I will admit this to you. The cauliflower mashed potatoes were an experiment gone right. I highly recommend! 


What is this? This is my new food scale. We haven't put it to use yet, but I think it will be a handy tool for measuring good. I placed my favorite water flavoring on top of it. 0 carbs, people. 


Meet Estelle. She's new around here. She has been met with a few awkward glances from me - looks of pure skepticism. It has been so long since I have owned a scale that I am not even sure to trust them. We will have encounters. Daily. In the morning. Before breakfast. After peeing. I reserve the right to terminate this relationship at will. 


This is iPod Nano watch. Mom bought it for me as part of my graduation gift. It clips into this wrist watch. It has a Fitness gadget on it. This was today's workout. Don't judge this 5K time, okay? It was hot. 

Now that we know the players and the plan, you can help me meet my goal. By the way, that goal comes in the form of 10 lbs. That includes the 7 I have gained, plus three for good measure. I like good, round numbers. I am not giving myself a deadline. 

Let's do this. 

2 comments:

  1. work the plan, girl! Can I get that recipe for the cauliflower mashed potatoes? Sounds great !

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-stella/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html

    We added cheese, because well, I love cheese!

    ReplyDelete