Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Whatever happened to predictability....?

...The milkman, the paperboy, the evening tv...


I have always been a routine-oriented person. I don't mean that every aspect of my life has to be planned, but I find peace in consistency and predictability. That is one reason why I am actually excited to begin preparation for the Tennessee Bar Exam. That means that I know when I am waking up in the morning, when to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, when to exercise, when to study, and when to sleep. Today was the first day of Barbri, the study course that most of us use to prepare for the exam. We were there from 9:00-3:30. I was up at 7:00 and in the shower. Then, I took my morning reading (93), and prepared breakfast (breakfast sandwich -below- + apple and peanut butter). I ate at 7:30. Two hours later, while I was at the study session, my reading was 153. Yay for proper dosage! We got a scheduled lunch break (love those) at noon. My pre-lunch reading was 138. I ate hummus and low-sodium chicken on one slice of Sara Lee 45-calorie bread, one banana, string cheese, and some oat clusters. Two hours later, while in the study session, my reading was 146. Low and behold, I did it again! Before Pure Barre, I was 124. After Pure Barre/Pre-Dinner, I was 114. I ate a McAlister's Chef Salad w/ Lite Ranch. Two hours later, I am 134. I did it! Three meals in a row :)

At this very moment, I am waiting on Andrew to get home so he can run with me. I don't run alone at night. I am excited for two reasons - (1) I love burning calories. (2) I bought a new Garmin Forerunner 310XT that I am eager to try out. I am so tempted to buy the scale that goes with it. The scale + the watch + the computer = all sync up together and store your data. This is a fitness gal's dream! Who knew I would go from never owning a scale to wanting one to tell me all about my body in excruciating detail? Actually, if you knew me, that would make a lot of sense. I am a marketing person's dream - the ultimate consumer. See, before I was Diabetic, I operated on an "ignorance is bliss" philosophy with my body. I didn't care to know my weight. If I fit in my clothes, I was happy. After being diagnosed, I am insanely interested in what is going on in that body of mine. Yes, my life has been reduced to numbers, statistics, and trends. The sooner I embrace that and stay hyper-aware of my body, what goes in it, and what is going on inside it, the better off I will be. If that means I am buying a second scale, so be it. I like Estelle though. I think I'll keep her around. 


Morning bliss :)


                     
I got this recipe from a different blog, pbfingers.
It includes (2) Slices of Sara Lee 45-calorie bread. She uses english muffins a lot. In the middle, you find (2) fried eggs; (1) slice of muenster cheese; (1) TBSP Sugar-Free Strawberry Preserves.
I absolutely die for this sandwich. 


Here is an old standby when I'm going low-carb. The McAlister's Chef Salad. 


The new toy, Garmin Forerunner 310. Now, you KNOW I have to name her. I tested her out on the run tonight. It took her too long to locate satellites, so while the timer started when our run started, the GPS didn't kick in until later. Therefore, she thinks I run a 13iminute mile. Lies, all lies. The post-run reading was 96. Now I get pudding and time to review my Barbri notes. 

This weekend is a big weekend for my friends, Catherine and LD.  They are getting married, and Andrew and I could not be more excited to be a part of the festivities. Stay tuned for updates for how this Diabetic is learning to navigate the world of wedding/party food. 

Cheers to an entire day of great blood sugar readings. I never read above 153, and I never read below 93. 
Hopefully, I've started a trend ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment